Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We Need a Hooker

Last night I was informed by my 3 year old that we need to buy a hooker. When I asked where I might find one, he told me to check Target. I’ve not looked for a hooker at Target so I had no right to dismiss his suggestion and will check the next time I go. After peeking in his room to see why he might need a hooker, I realized he was standing in a pile of baseball hats, trying to hang them on the four hooks on the back of his door. Clearly, he needs more than just a few hookers.

Speaking of hookers, or at least the way the media likes to portray the women in the lives of men in politics who aren’t legally married to the married men, I am amused by the news coverage of John Edward’s “mistress” and possible mother of his “love child”. I appreciate the media’s consideration in emphasizing that his love affair occurred between his wife’s bouts with cancer. Noble. I’m not sure how this helps him given the average American pouring over news reports of this man who might have been President.

What if Edwards had won the Democratic nomination? What if this "news" had been leaked on November 3rd? Could America forgive this man? Apparently not. As I read through one story after another about this cheating, morally corrupt, good-for-nothing… you get the point. No- he will not be forgiven. What makes it particularly messy is the possible pay off to keep the “mistress” quiet. Not terribly original, but we do love a messy affair with scandal and suspense. Just not when it comes to our political leaders. We certainly are a self-righteous group of voters.

And back to the 3 year old's dilemma. I wonder if hookers come in a variety of colors and sizes. I'll need to look into this further at Target.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He he he... a hooker.

I've been really fascinated by the media's portrayal of Rielle Hunter as well. I think it was on Anderson Cooper where everything about Hunter was told in relation to Edwards, as though she was this symbiotic personality. I find it hard to believe that this woman wasn't talented and smart on her own - would Edwards be attracted to anything less? Craziness. Really, in the grand scheme of things, is this going to matter? Perhaps we should get back to talking about things that matter: the state of education or the spread of HIV, perhaps?