Tuesday, August 5, 2008

All In A Day

According to my bedside alarm, today is Tuesday- Monday ended 23 minutes ago. According to my internal clock, today does not end until I slip into REM. Therefore, I have kept the promise to myself to post a blog each day.

I came home less than an hour ago. It's been a full day. I woke up at 6:00 am to run, which seems like the wise thing to do after accepting an invitation from a friend to run the Nike+ World 10K run at the end of the month. During my last "official" run- the Honolulu Marathon, I nearly killed myself. Literally. My heart and breathing stopped as I lay in the back of the ambulance on the way to the ER. I could not remember my name or those of my family members, but I remembered how close I was to the finish line and to breathe when the medic hollered to the ambulance driver that "we're losing her". I saw my children's faces and decided it was indeed a good idea to breathe. But that's another blog.

After running, I showered, got the boys ready, took the older one to summer camp, went to the grocery store all before 10:00 am. I appeased anxious students via email, faxed disclosures on two pieces of property in Arizona we're trying to sell, searched listings for the next home purchase, made chicken noodle soup for the three year old, drew a few pictures of Superman and the Mach 5 for the three year old, ate a turkey sandwich and picked up the eight year old before 3:15. The rest is blurry between buying a padded helmet strap before football practice at 6:00, cooking hamburgers, printing mapquest directions, appeasing the three year old who ran into a stucco wall and became the first injury at the football practice and then remembered to attend a meeting at 7:30. Thankfully the coach brought the eight year old to the high school where the meeting was being held for team managers- a job I voluntarily share with another parent. This was after the three year old announced he had to go to the bathroom with no bathrooms in sight. With no time to stop at home for the hamburgers sitting on the counter for the football player, we zipped through Carls Jr drive thru for chicken strips and headed to Long Beach to pick up my niece to watch the boys while I teach tomorrow and my exhausted co-parent inspires educators in Virginia on no sleep following a red eye and 3,500 mile trip from the other side of the country.

This is an average day. It does not end when the clock strikes midnight and I do not abide by the traditional rules of time and days measured and established long ago by our ancestors.

*Note: I fell asleep and eight hours later, am posting from my office. I still contend I wrote it before the deadline.

No comments: